Norwich has had a continuous library service since 1876. The original subscription rate was $2.00 for men and $1.00 for ladies over 18 years of age. The library has been in several locations - in the "Standard" printing office, over Pitcher's store, in the Miller block and over Haken's Drug store. When the latter location was destroyed by fire, the library moved to the Moore block. In 1914 the library was endowed by the Carnegie fund and the present library was built. In 1936, Norwich became a member of the Oxford County Library system. It no longer costs to join the library, and we offer high speed internet access, community and government information as well as the usual reading materials in print and on tape.
*Disclaimer* This information was compiled from a collection of articles from the Norwich Archives. Articles pertaining to the Norwich Library are available at the Norwich Archives, located at R.R. # 3 Norwich, Ontario,N0J 1P0. Due to discrepancies between articles, some dates listed could be wrong. This information was compiled with the intention of being as accurate as possible, but it is necessary to note that the discrepancies do exist.