Ingersoll District Collegiate Institute (IDCI) was erected in 1874. On January 1, 1886, the high school reached the status of a Collegiate Institute by meeting the requirements of the Department of Education. These were, to employ four teachers who were specialists, the erection of a gymnasium [building to the left in image below] and provision for laboratory equipment for the teaching of science.
The first school principal was William Briden, B.A. In 1895, a large addition was added to the front of the building. This addition contained a large science room on the ground floor, above which was an assembly room.